Saturday, January 27, 2007

State of the union

I watch a lot of C-SPAN. Tuesday brought 'round another State of the Union speech. I tune in for that nonsense most years and take simple notes. I make a list of words or topics that I hope to hear, and then make tally marks for each mention. I count the claps, the standy claps, golf claps, interruption claps, early clap/stop OK clap claps. This year there were at least 59 clappings. 29 standy-claps, 6 of those early clap-whoops stop OK "are we clappin' for this?"-clap claps, one good golf clap, and 3 interruption claps there were. This year we got a new category which garnered 4 tallies. It's the Pause in the speech for some clap, but ?no clappy.
I was looking to hear tasty touchings upon these smelly subjects ; Katrina=0, nucular=3, torture=0, duty=2, switch grass=0, Mars=0, human-animal hybrids=0, torture=0, signing statements=0, fascism=0, evil=2, brutal dictator=0, freedom=1?, AIDS=2, poverty=2, hunger=1, homelessness=0, Sept. 11th=4, climate change=1, terrorists=10, Iraq=19, Iran=5, Cuba=1, Korea=1, Afghanistan=3, Burma=1
It was fun to hear The Man say "Dikembe Mutumbo".

No comments: