Saturday, March 29, 2008

My cab

The dude in front of me was clearly told " You're #5". I'm in cab 6? No, dude in front of me took my cab6, so I marched on up to cab5. Cab 5 was lame. " Where ya goin' four eyes?" "El Cortez, please." " Kansas, huh, UNLV is gonna kick your ass on Saturday. You wanna go to the strip clubs?" " hello, no thank you"
I had a window seat in the taxi. Much had changed in two years. Trump built an eyesore where the Westward Ho used to be. The Klondike is gone. Aladdin is now Planet Hollywood. Planet Hollywood has a buffet line that smells like cadaver farts. The Stardust is gone. Winn's got a twin. The Holiday Inn Blvrd is gone. Luxury condos are going in and up. Caesars continues to grow. I didn't get to the Strip 'til Sunday. This year's adventure stayed downtown. Three cab rides in six days was unheard of in my experience. Joey Blackchip bought the last one, Mike got the second.
My driver couldn't get to the front door of my hotel due to construction and blocked street, so he dumped me off on Ogden. I gave the schmuck thirty-some dollars. He popped the trunk but stayed in the cab. I got my bag and entered a back door to my seedy home on the edge of Downtown. UNLV got spanked by Kansas on Saturday.

No comments: