Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oprah

It's after 1am. I'm watching Gates on C-SPAN. The audio is quiet, so I've got my volume fairly cranked. I'm sleepy and playing Bookworm. Getting mellow and winding things down, wrappin' up the night, I got my socks goin' and the heater on. Looking for a good pointy word while straining to hear the Secretary and Congresspeople, I'm growing relaxed. BOOMWWWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ...the fuckin' TV goes crazy for a couple of seconds. A sound that could be used as a weapon skipped my heart and would have made me puke if it hadn't stopped going WWWHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Could such a thing be used to kill off some of us C-SPAN watchers? The 1984 and Brave New World come-truisms are worrisome-plus.
The signal comes back but my volume display has vanished, I notice as I'm cranking it back upBWWWAAAAAAAA ...this time there is video with the blast of noise, big fat scary squiggly vertical lines of black and gray. I was paralyzed, incapacitated. A frailer person may not have made it.

No comments: